Latino voters are a diverse, important, growing, and complicated political factor in U.S. politics. Polling data suggests that Latino communities can be decisive in key races and may be shifting in their political and partisan choices. Nationality, generational and geographic differences, faith, and family can shape and impact attitudes and votes within the diverse Latino electorate.
This online Latino Leaders Gathering brought together a remarkable group of Latino leaders, analysts, and journalists to explore the ways in which Latino voters have made a difference in the November 2022 midterm election. They examined what happened, why, and what it means for the future.
These leaders discussed questions such as:
- How are Latinos changing politics and how are politics changing Latinos? How did differing parts of the Latino community vote in the 2022 midterm elections and why? What has changed since 2020, and what has stayed the same?
- What are the major forces driving changing attitudes—geography, nationality, religion, class, and ideology—and how did political parties respond to them?
- How did issues of the economy, abortion, and immigration shape Latino voters and votes
- What major new efforts did Democrats and Republicans make to reach and persuade different parts of the Latino community? What worked and what didn’t? What do the major political parties need to understand to adapt to Latino voters, and how do these recent efforts contribute to a broader strategy for the future?
- How have inclusion in and exclusion from the electoral process affected the political life of Latino communities? What are some of the obstacles to Latino political engagement, and how have communities responded creatively?
- What are implications for policy and politics over the next two years? For the 2024 elections?
- Beyond electoral politics, how are Latinos and their communities working to address key problems on a local level through organizing efforts that are an important part of the democratic process beyond the voting booth?
View a list of articles, videos, and other resources for this gathering.
This Latino Leader Gathering was for young Latino Catholics and others to explore key issues and personal stories involving faith and public life with distinguished Latinos and other leaders and was supported by Democracy Fund. Learn more about the Initiative’s Latino Leader Gatherings online.